The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Process Engineer opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Chemical or Manufacturing Engineering; we'll consider candidates with degrees in other engineering disciplines as long as they have solid relevant experience.
- 5+ years of experience in bulk manufacturing environments,
preferably in the food industry, including:
- Proven skills in mechanical and/or process engineering.
- Solid project management skills.
- Knowledge of manufacturing concepts.
- Proficiency in current software, including Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), MS Project and AutoCAD or equivalent programs.
- Experience with and knowledge of Six Sigma, lean manufacturing or similar methodologies is a strong plus.
- A collaborative approach and the ability to build good rapport with co-workers.
- The ability to combine analytical and creative thinking in driving solutions.
- Strong teambuilding skills and the ability to coordinate effectively with employees, customers and vendors as necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple activities and priorities.
The RoleReporting to the Engineering Manager, you will join a team that includes two other Process Engineers, each supporting different production areas. You will drive efficiency improvement for manufacturing processes in two areas:
- Deposition, in which molten chocolate is deposited as drops or chunks. Different variables must be controlled to maintain the flavor, consistency and appearance. There are three deposition lines.
- Cocoa pressing, which separates cocoa butter from cocoa solids in the form of a presscake. The cocoa butter is a key ingredient in chocolate, and the presscake is ultimately transformed into cocoa powder. We are the largest presser in North America.
Specific activities will fall into two main areas. You'll invest about 60% of your time in process improvement, including:
- Using metrics, lean and other TQM methods to problem solve and identify inefficiencies within the operating processes.
- Evaluating data collection methodology and score to ensure proper analysis of processes.
- Identifying opportunities and creating teams involving operators, supervisors, managers, and additional functional areas to support process improvements and overall process efficiencies.
- Designing engineering solutions that meet all quality, safety, maintenance, financial and operator requirements.
- Planning, managing and executing identified solutions.
- Creating standard operating procedures (SOPs) for process improvements.
- Training affected employees in process modifications.
- Using ongoing metrics and data to validate that process improvements are maintained and meeting expectations.
- Investigating issues as they arise and implementing necessary solutions to maintain operations within defined expectations of quality and safety.
- Participating in capital improvement projects, acting as a technical resource for the Project Manager and helping create timelines, goals and defined outcomes.
- Developing and training on SOPs for any new improvement projects.
- Working with operations and maintenance to develop capital expense and R&M budgets.
What's in It for YouMove the Needle
We continue to work with some legacy equipment, and some processes are consistently challenging -- there is both science and art in chocolate making. If you're the person we're looking for, you see that as an opportunity to showcase your good ideas and make an impact. On occasion you will create processes from scratch, including defining SOPs to standardize them.
We do a good deal of custom production, and that will provide plenty of chances to build your skills and experience. We are proactive about employee development and make every effort to invest in our people. We believe that the success of our organization depends upon the personal development of our employees, their diversity and the results of their collaborative efforts
Superior Products, Diverse Offerings
As the largest cocoa bean processor in North America, we strive to provide our customers with the best possible experience and the highest quality products. Providing the finest tasting cocoa is the sole focus of our business, and we have committed 70 years of experience and invested in the best technology to perfect the process. Our customers represent the confectionery, baking, dairy, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries
The Blommer Difference
Although we have been in business for over 76 years, we're proud of the fact that we are still a family-run business.
You'll join a close-knit team here at our Chicago plant. You'll find there are great people to work with and an environment of teamwork and collaboration. We believe that our culture of continuous improvement is the core to our future success. Plus, employees get 10 pounds of delicious chocolate on their birthdays every year to make getting a year older that much sweeter!
Best Practices in Sustainability
We have a strong sense of responsibility to ensure the long-term sustainability of the worldwide cocoa community. We see the farmers as key partners in the cocoa supply chain and want to empower them to stay in the industry, make a better living and deliver a higher quality, more consistent product.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus potential, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, a 401(k) plan, generous profit-sharing plan and more.
Keys to SuccessYour technical knowledge will be essential, but just as important will be your interpersonal savvy. To excel in this role you will be personable, outgoing and approachable in order to build good relationships with the people impacted by your work. On the whole, you'll find the team open to positive change, but as a veteran of managing change, you know the importance of getting buy-in. A collaborative approach will work best, but there may be times when you need to be assertive and persistent.
In addition to the legacy equipment we already mentioned, we have expanded over the years from operations covering two floors to operations covering four. That presents certain challenges as processes maneuver through the plant in different ways. Again, good ideas will allow you to shine -- you should be willing to question the status quo -- but you'll also need a degree of flexibility.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Strategic HR Business Partner, you will:
- Communicate complex issues and ideas effectively, adjusting your message to different audiences.
- Provide concise instructions and follow up with employees at all levels.
- Combine innovation and commons sense to resolve problems.
- Establish, adjust and communicate priorities.
- Work effectively across departments to achieve goals.
- Maintain a sense of urgency, particularly in troubleshooting.
About UsManufacturers of the Finest Chocolate Since 1939
Blommer Chocolate Company is the largest cocoa processor and ingredient chocolate supplier in North America. With over 600 employees and four strategically located manufacturing facilities in North America, we provide comprehensive business solutions for domestic and international customers of all sizes in the confectionery, baking and dairy industries. Among Blommer's core competencies are cocoa bean processing, chocolate manufacturing, commodity risk management, and product and process R&D.
Blommer is a leader in advancing sustainable cocoa farming, playing an active role in the World Cocoa Foundation and promoting sustainable farming practices through privately managed programs in Cote d'Ivoire, Indonesia and Ecuador. Founded in 1939, our family owned and run company has established an outstanding reputation for customer service and quality.
Some of the things that set us apart from the competition:
- We are the largest, fully integrated chocolate and cocoa manufacturer in North America, supplying the confectionery, baking, dairy, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
- We are the largest presser in North America, giving our customers the freshest ingredients and the fastest order processing time.
- We align ourselves with all facets of our customers' business with an integrated team approach; from market information and technical assistance to plant locations and product collaboration.
- Innovative product offerings, from specialty cocoas and our premium chocolate line to products that are custom-tailored to our customers' specifications.
- Our Research and Development team uses a hands-on approach to collaborate with our customers and help them to be the best in their industry.
- We meet the highest food safety standards, and provide reliable, quick and flexible order fulfillment.
- Our integrated team approach to communicating with our customers allows us to offer open-book pricing, and also to share our industry knowledge and market insight.
- Our corporate social responsibility initiatives are the strongest in the industry.